Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Lesson in Maturity: from the peanut gallery


Unfortunately I have not gotten to the point where I blog everyday, or once a week for that matter.  This post dips into my interests (& slight training) in psychology and philosophy.

I suppose everyone has their own view of what makes a person mature and responsible.  I think the most mature and responsible thing a person can do is to take charge of their own lives; taking time to stop, pray, and listen to the inner voice to tell one how to live life instead of running from one person to another and listening to a multitude of voices.  Only one voice matters, the one with which we are all given by Creator.  We have to stop living in the past and worrying about all the "what-ifs" of the future.  We must choose today, here and now, what that Divine Light inside is leading us to do.  There is no better guidance than the one we can all find within.  Too many voices in this world seek to control, manipulate, and indoctrinate us with their way of life and thought.  The one true way is the way that leads us to peace within ourselves while dealing no harm to others.  To think practically and logically instead of emotionally and to act on this is the first step.  The second is to pursue the answer that we find.

I know there are those who would argue that we all harm others in one way or another at some time in life.  I'm not speaking in regard to hurt feelings when I say, "while dealing no harm to others."  I am speaking in terms of forever harming the lives or way of life of others.  For example, in the extreme view, we have those who say they were "led" to kill one person or another.  In another view that is more practical to understand, how do the decisions we make for selfish reasons affect our children or spouses.  Thinking logically and practically while listening to the inner voice will lead us down paths that are beneficial to those we are involved with.  Here is a personal example.  I want to go back to school to get my Masters in Counseling.  My husband supports this.  I would prefer to do this without working, but that may not be feasible.  So, I re-listen to my inner voice.  Peace with my husband is FAR more important than being in a tight schedule because of work, so I'll look for a part-time job.  It is hard to balance caring too much about what others think and becoming heartless and selfish.  It is a balance we must all strive to achieve everyday.  When we invite others into our lives, like having a life partner, or when our decisions lead to having children, this balance becomes more difficult, but striving for balance makes the end result well worth it.

My closing statement will be to encourage everyone to take charge of their own lives, seek the balance.  Let us all choose to take one step closer to maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment