Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Health and Wellness: Allergy and Sinus Relief

As Spring turns into Summer many things come alive and make their presence known in this world.  We can catch glimpses of baby birds in nests, bees pollinating flowers, and the birth of new creatures all over the globe.  My favorite things all have to do with nature.  I love wildflowers and the bunches of them that my husband brings home for me from his nature walks.  I love the trees in bloom, turning to fruit, and cool breezes that help to spread the love around.  In my yard we have a new apple tree that has about ten apples growing beautifully.  Our poppies are blooming, keeping company with the blue flax flowers and the bright pinks of the Sweet Williams.  Every day brings new sights and smells in our yard and garden.

Sweet William (I love that name)
Unfortunately, with the new sights and smells comes new problems with my sinuses and allergies.  For the longest time I didn't have problems with either.  My youngest brother was the one in the family that had the allergies, none of the rest of us did.  I've done some research on diet and some on natural remedies.  I used to live on 24 hour Claritin D.  Then I started getting dizzy, a very weird vertigo feeling when I would walk across the room or drive.  It was horrible and not safe.  I quit taking over the counter sinus medication, but started having problems breathing at night and my headaches came back.  I don't get the itchy, watery eyes.  I get pressure in my face, temples, and the base of my skull.  They turn into migraine headaches.  Before now I have always treated the headaches without looking at treating the sinus/allergy pressure. I'm not exactly sure why, but I've wised up and have found a good combination of products that help me to keep my allergies and headaches at bay without taking medication.  I wanted to share these things with anyone interested so that others would begin to feel the relief too.

The first thing I bought that I realized that helped a lot is Organic Breathe Easy Rub by the Honest Company.  (I buy a lot of products from them and love them).  This rub is similar to vaporubs, but it is made with natural and organic products.  It is also petroleum and menthol free for those of you who prefer not to use those things.  I put some on the bottom of my feet, my chest, and nose before bed each night.  I read somewhere (not sure where, pinterest is all I remember) that if you rub vaporub on your feet it helps with breathing and coughing.  I bought the Breathe Easy rub when I got sick this past winter and realized how well it worked.  I also started using different teas from Traditional Medicinals.    Traditional Medicinals Seasonal Herb Tea Sampler 16 Count Box is the one I order.  It contains Gypsy Cold Care, Echinacea Plus, Throat Coat, and Breathe Easy teas.  I use these tea blends for all manner of illnesses.  I read a blog post that spoke about using nettle in tea to help with allergies. (Fresh Bites Daily) I use a strainer and mix nettle with either Gypsy Cold Care or Breathe Easy for sinus and/or allergy relief.  I get my herbs from either a local store or Mountain Rose Herbs
Red Poppy

Finally, in my desire to learn more about essential oils as a part of promoting natural health, I purchased Breathe from DoTerra.  A bit of this works wonders.  It can be used in the same way that I mentioned for the rub, but the main difference is that this blend is an oil, not a cream.  Oils can be diffused into the air to promote healthy breathing throughout the whole night.  I like the drops that are available as well.  They function like cough drops, but are natural and focus on respiration.  This helps with pressure in my face and head as well.  I've found that when I do these things to help with my sinus and allergy symptoms my headaches are slim to none.

I haven't found a "cure" for sinus and allergy problems, but everything I have described in this post has helped immensely.  It is easy to put a teabag in my purse if I'm going somewhere, drop some Breathe Drops in there too.  I have read many conflicting studies about nutrition.  Some claim that gluten causes allergies, others claim that dairy is the culprit.  I don't fancy an elimination diet to find out what I cannot eat because I eat the healthiest I can (most of the time, I mean...cookies = weakness).  I have also heard that consuming local organic honey instead of sugar helps (I buy Mesquite honey from Albertson's) and I've heard that apple cider vinegar helps.  ACV helps with a number of things and I encourage everyone to make it part of their diet anyway.  I promote healthy living and being in nature is part of that.  So, if you need allergy and/or sinus relief, try some of these alternative remedies for yourself.  Let me know if anything else has worked for you!

Light and Love,

Amber

P.S.  You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram.  The links are in the tabs.  I also have tabs for my disclaimer, DoTerra store, and the books that I refer to on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment